73rd NZSOHNS Annual General and Scientific Meeting Update
NZSOHNS Council and the Organising Committee of the 73rd NZSOHNS Annual Scientific Meeting have met to discuss the implication of the current COVID-19 situation in New Zealand. Although, the rates of community infection remain very low, Auckland is presently at a Level 2 Alert status. We acknowledge the impact that a potential COVID-19 contact exposure would have on attendees, including the ethical and reputational costs to the Specialty and Society Members if we were to proceed as planned at Level 2 even if physical distancing measures were put in place to try and mitigate this. However, we have also seen great enthusiasm for this conference evidenced by the high number of delegate registrations to date.
Cabinet is meeting on 5th October to discuss the Auckland and National Alert level. Taking these facts into consideration, the consensus from the Committee and Society Council is that in the event that Auckland remains at Level 2, ORL2020 will be postponed. Should Auckland progress and join the rest of New Zealand in Level 1, the conference will proceed as planned and we look forwards to welcoming you all in Tāmaki Makaurau for what we feel will be an excellent and unique event. A final decision will be made once Cabinet’s decision has been announced.